rebusca

24 mayo 2005

EARLabs: FUTURISMO-a questionable compilation

EARLabs release: FUTURISMO-a questionable compilation



As this series' goal was to bring forth music that has gone lost for a new generation I think that it would be good present the early early experimentalists. Futurists were interested in mimicking the sounds of the new world of the early 20th century. As they had no electronic means at hand they had to improvise and so used voices and brought new instruments into the orchestral environment to get a satisfactory result.
The sound examples below have been released before, but have gone lost during the years. I have dug them up and decided to present them here. Each sound sample has a story to tell, which I think you should know as well. Because they're interesting but also because they offer a backdrop explaining about the how and why of these compositions. I refer to the excellent UBU.COM website for further reading.
This is by no means a complete compilation and it certainly does not present only the best. It's just a glimpse for you to experience the cries for freedom of eccentric souls a century ago. Please read more about Futurism on this wonderful site http://www.unknown.nu/futurism/
I am convinced that, although these sound artists do not use electronic means, they operated in the same spirit as most of the electronic pioneers of the post-WW2 era.